Pages

June 10, 2014

Baked Eggs w/ Spicy Tomato Stew

June 10, 2014

Hey friends! What a busy week here! I'm guest posting this week on Whole 30's recipe instagram! So exciting! So, that means I have to take pictures of my food. When I have decent pictures, that means I can share recipes on my blog! Woot woot! Slowly but surely I'll get back into this whole blogging world..

While doing Whole 30, you eat a TON of eggs. Everyday seems like eggs and sweet potatoes. Which is fine by me, I love a good sweet potato hash with a soft, runny yolk on top...Buttt, I guess it can get a little old by day 20 or so,  so I tried to think up another good method to have my eggs in the morning. I tried an egg with some tomato sauce early on, because tomatoes are a great fat burner and an excellent antioxidant, but I just felt like it was missing something. I needed some more substance, like a good tortilla to dip in it. Wellll, tortillas are no bueno on the Whole 30, so I needed to find a different way to add substance. I added a bunch of stuff to the tomato sauce, and made it a hearty, tomato stew. I topped my stew with an egg and and baked it.

This breakfast was super easy, I cooked the stew up in one pot the day before. In the morning I put the stew into oven-safe bowls, cracked my egg, and popped it in the oven. AND, I was able to get stuff done for 25 minutes while it baked. Bonus! And when it's done baking, it looks like it has melted cheese on it. Double bonus!



Baked Eggs with Spicy Tomato Stew 

makes 2 servings

1 whole tomato, diced
1 15oz can of tomato puree (remember to check the ingredients)
(you can swap the whole tomato, and tomato puree for a can of diced tomatoes if you'd prefer)
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 cup sweet potato, chopped
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 italian sausage link (Whole30 compliant, of course!)
1 cup kale, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon coconut/olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Heat oil in pan over med-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, stir for 5 minutes. Add onion, sausage, and kale. Lower heat to medium-low and cover for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and add tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato puree. Add seasonings and simmer for 5 more minutes. 

3. Transfer stew to oven safe bowls/ramekins. Crack egg on each and bake for 25 minutes or until the egg white is firm but the yolk is runny. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment