Pages

June 22, 2014

Sweet Potato & Bacon Stuffed Portobello w/ Fried Egg

June 22, 2014

This was my very favorite breakfast during the entire Whole 30. I made it once again after Whole 30 with white potatoes (Paul hates sweet potatoes) and we both agreed that it was actually better with sweet potatoes. I love the balance of spicy, sweet, smoky, and salty. You can cut (and even cook!) the potatoes in advance so all you have to do in the morning is heat and assemble. I like to always have cooked bacon on hand--I usually just bake a whole package every week to have on hand for salads and such (Bake on 350 for 20 minutes, flip, 10 minutes longer. Reserve the grease!)

I had never cooked anything in bacon grease before this. I am now obsessed--I can't believe I used to just throw it away. So much flavor, in the trash! I will save my bacon grease forever.

I used white sweet potato for this because it is a little less sweet that orange sweet potato, and it's a little more starchy--but you could definitely use orange if you prefer or if you can't find white.


White Sweet Potato & Bacon Stuffed Portobello w/ Fried Egg

serves 2

3 slices of bacon, cooked--reserve grease (Whole30 complaint! No sugar!)
1 large white sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 jalapeƱo, ribs and seeds removed, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 eggs, fried or poached
2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan, leaving the grease. 

2. Add the potatoes to the pan, arrange in a thin layer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring only once, to create a nice crust. 

3. Meanwhile, drizzle the portobellos with olive oil and place under the broiler (on high) gill side up. Broil for 10 minutes or until they release their water. Drain the liquid and season lightly with salt.

4. Once the potatoes are tender, add the jalapeƱos, and onions. Cook for 3 minutes, then add the chopped bacon. Season with salt and pepper.

5. On a plate, spoon the potato mixture onto the mushroom and top with an egg.


Enjoy, my friends!
Rochelle


No comments:

Post a Comment