Pages

July 14, 2014

Homemade Chorizo

July 14, 2014

Mmmmm, I loveeeeeeee chorizo. Like, love love love it. While on Whole 30, it's hard to find some good, compliant chorizo. Even off Whole 30, most chorizos that are available are made with the gross parts of the animal--like ears, tongues...eyelids. Woof. I don't know about you, but I really like to know what's going into my food, and really like there to not be any gross parts. I'll totally continue making this chorizo while not doing Whole 30--it's stupid easy, and really tasty.

Next time, I'll double the sauce and freeze it so I can just dump it into some ground pork (or chicken, or turkey) as needed. The sauce is the most time consuming (time consuming does not mean difficult!) but I think it will definitely freeze well.


Homemade Chorizo

What you'll need:
1lb ground pork (you can substitute chicken, turkey, or beef) 
3 dried guajillo chilies (I found these in the Mexican spice section) 
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 
1/4 of an onion, diced 
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon cumin 
1/2 teaspoon paprika 
1/2 teaspoon oregano 
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
1 teaspoon salt 

Here's what to do:
1. In a dry skillet on high heat toast the chiles on each side. Once they start to puff, fill skillet with water (enough to cover the chiles) and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and cover with lid for 30 minutes. 
2. When chills are moist, drain the water and put the chiles in a blender with the diced onion, garlic, and vinegar. Puree until a smooth paste (like ketchup!)--you can add more vinegar if needed. 
3. Add the chile puree to the ground pork (I only used half of the puree, I froze the rest for another batch!) and add the spices.
The chorizo is so versatile! I used it in scrambled eggs, on salads, and in tacos. 





No comments:

Post a Comment