Pages

April 06, 2011

Pancake Omelets...Errr, Crepes.

I had been missing out on the deliciousness that is a crepe for the first 22 1/2 years of my life.

I had my first crepe experience when the iHOP came to town. (Don't get me wrong, I had eaten at an iHOP before, they had plenty of them in Michigan--but when the first iHOP came to Louisville, people went CRAZY for it.)

So, although I hadn't been missing out on iHOP, I had; however, been missing out on crepe-ness.

The idea of this pancake thing, which is kind-of like an omelet too...kind of like a pancake omelet...a pancake omelet that can be filled with delicious pastry cremes and syrupy fruit with whipped cream and goodness... or that can be filled with melty cheddar, and salty ham, and topped with a sinful hollandaise and some grilled veggies..... That idea... it's ridiculous.

Ridiculously fantastic.
And ridiculously easy.  Ya dig?


Follow me here...

Basic Crepes

(Printable Version)
All you need for these delicious pieces of heaven is:
1 cup of all purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Measure milk...
DSC_0395



Flour..
DSC_0400


And water.

Get 2 eggs...
DSC_0403


Add it all to a bowl:
DSC_0409


Add 1/4 teaspoon on salt...
DSC_0414


Then add 2 tablespoons of melted butter.

Mix it all together.
DSC_0411

DSC_0415


It should be a thin batter.
If it's not, then you messed up.


Next, heat a small non-stick saute pan on medium-high heat. Lightly spray the pan with cooking spray.
Once the pan is hot, ladle some batter into the pan.
DSC_0457


Swirl the pan around to spread the batter evenly on the bottom of the pan.
DSC_0439


Allow the batter to swirl a little bit onto the side of the pan. This will make it easier to flip later.

Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes on the first side
Start to loosen the edges of the crepe with a spatula...
DSC_0448


Shake the pan a bit to loosen the rest of the crepe, if it releases evenly from the pan, it's ready to flip.

To flip the crepe, hold the pan in one hand push it away from your body, then quickly pull back to your body.
DSC_0453


I had to call the Boo in to help photograph the flipping.

Let me just tell you, it's hard to take pictures while demonstrating cooking. Weird, twisted, angles and limbs occur frequently. This recipe was particularly hard because the batteries in my flash were dying, so it took about a minute for the flash to charge again. Half of my pictures turned out completely black. Oy

Okay. Rant over.
After the Boo took his picture, I decided to give it a go myself, you know, so you could see it from my perspective.
DSC_0456


Not bad, right? I was proud.

Phew. The hard part is done.
Now, just let the crepe cook for another 2 minutes on the second side, until its just a little bit brown.

Flip it out of the pan and get started on the next!
DSC_0458


This recipe will make about 8 crepes.


Mmmm....

You can serve these as dessert crepes--with whipped cream, powdered sugar, and fresh fruit.
Or you can stuff them with chicken, and sprinkle cheese on them with fresh vegetables.

Delicious. Versatile. Crepes.

Don't fret, I'll have a delicious recipe to use the crepes with tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. We used our hands to flip crepes in Basic Skills. it was hothothotburntfingers.

    ReplyDelete